Friday, July 3, 2009

Keyword research

This is my keyword research for the challenge launched by Howie Schwartz for IM Remarkable.

Step 1: Google first look


Keyword list:
• Solar water heater
• Solar water heaters
• Solar water heater plans
• Solar water heater system
• Solar water heater design
• Solar water heater cost
• Solar water heater diy
• Solar water heater prices
• Solar water heater panels
• Solar water heaters manufacturers
• Solar water heater tax credit

Step 2: Choosing what to sell. For example: information.

Main keywords:
• Solar water heater plans
• Solar water heater design
• Solar water heater diy

Related keywords:
• Solar water heater panels
• Solar water heater tax credit
• Solar water heater system

Step 3: Looking among them for low hanging fruit.

“Solar water heater diy” has a product in Clickbank, we know it from the doc. So let’s start there…

1. Competition and commercial viability.
Going to www.google.com and search for the keyword.



Looking at Google page we find out:
• It is commercially viable.
• 170,000 competing sites. Can be done.

Let’s see with quotes:



Looking at Google page we find out:
• It is still commercially viable.
• 767 competing sites. Very easy.

2. Searches.
Going to https://adwords.google.com/select/KeywordToolExternal and search for the keyword.



• Solar water heater diy: 3600 searches. Good.
• Solar water heater: 135,000. Very good.
• Monthly and average search volumes are the same: there is probably no seasonality.

3. Seasonality and regional interest.
Going to http://www.google.com/insights/search/# and search for the keyword.



Seasonality: against the previous prediction, there is seasonality; May being approx in the middle. Max searches are done in the summer and the lowest amount of searches in the winter.

• Max number of searches: approx 5500
• Min number of searches: approx 2500

Shows interest growing over time.

Regional interest: USA and UK are the places with the most interest. Australia and Canada follow close behind.

3 comments:

  1. Reading your steps really seems helpful. I am a newbie and I am yet to create my first blog. I printed out your steps... and I will use your input to pick my nitch and create my blog and maybe even my website. But, first things first.
    Thanks! I will be following your progress. Betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Betty,

    I'm glad it was helpful.:) This is a sample blog for IM remarkable challenge, by Howie Schwartz.

    The steps followed here are a reduced version of Howie's method for business building.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow I read through this and thought "How comprehensive"
    Great work. I am going to read through it again to absorb it in more detail so I understand the process a bit better.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete